A little confession to make

I think I have a problem with reading. A serious one. The problem is once I start reading a book, I can not stop until I know what happens. I just have to know how it ends. Yes that does often mean finishing a book in a day. Or in my case three books in not quite two days.

I started the The Hunger Games on Wednesday. I still wasn't feeling quite up to moving around to much after my awful flu, but my fever was gone and I could think some what coherently. So what's a girl to do, but  read. I had the first of The Hunger Games already in my Kindle so I thought, "Why not?"





Never a good thought in my mind. I should always tell myself, not to do whatever I am thinking. There are always consequences to those actions. In this case my nose in wonderful trilogy that I could not put down. As in I may have or my not have stayed up the last two nights well into the wee hours of the morning to finish which ever title I was reading at that point, because I just had to find out how the story turned out.

I know I am a bit behind on reading these. They have been popular for a bit and really popular right now. As of yesterday day they were number 2-4 on the amazon kindle top purchases. There is even a movie soon.

However, I always seem to be behind in books. The problem in my obsession with reading. I blame my major in college. The thing is I was an English major, which basically means that I really like reading and writing so I decided to study it (I am sure you can't tell, by my writing on this blog). I actually wanted to be a high school English teacher. I thought it would so much fun to help others find the love of reading.

And then I lost my love of reading novels. Somewhere along the third trimester of reading over 20 books in 15 weeks, I fizzled out. Reading became a chore. Something I just had to get done. I remember my final semester having 26 novels to read in 15 weeks and not thinking I was going to be able to do it.  That semester, was especially bad because, I was also taking teacher prep courses and had to read textbooks for those too. Plus, I had to write all my applications for teacher credential programs.

So, I just started reading. All the time. Reading while eating, reading in bed, on the couch, in a shady patch near my next class, in the cafe, while people were over, whenever I was alone, during slow periods at work. It didn't matter what I was doing, I had to read. I honestly don't know how I kept any friends that last semester. I was already a pretty quick reader, but I had memorize these books. No one tells you as English majors you not only have to read the books, understand the books, relate the books to each other, explain meanings and write about them. You actually have to, in class, spontaneously make your arguments/justifications about books and be able to direct others to the page you are talking about, or multiple pages in multiple texts.

So I read. And I read. And I read. And I did it. I read all the books. Did great in my classes. Got into a great credential program. And I was done with reading. I would go into bookstores, somewhere that used to love, and wander around. I suddenly had this inability to pick books and then once I finally did, I just can't stop reading until it is done.

So, instead of quilting yesterday. Or even cleaning. I read The Hunger Games and loved it. It is a great trilogy and if you haven't read them yet. You really should.
post signature

P.S
Not a sponsored post just my opinion.

Comments

  1. I love the Hunger Games. I don't blame you at all for staying up late at night in this case.
    You remind me a lot of my sister, who was also an English major. She went through a similar fizzling stage when she was forced to read so many novels. Then she started writing her own blog (she's not a quilter, though - just a writer) and graduated from college. Now she reads whatever she wants to and it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading the trilogy on my Nook. I'm missing the characters. I was a children's librarian. Instead of grading papers, I read children's books. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the the time comment. Please know that I read each comment and they all make me smile.

Thanks for visiting, Jenn